VEGAN BLISS: Strawberry and Coconut Cake with Lemon Glaze
May 04, 2020
1 tsp baking powder
small pinch of salt
80ml coconut oil (@exceedinglyvegan uses sunflower oil)
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Zest of 1 Lemon
Extra toasted coconut to sprinkle
Lemon rind for decoration
Coconut oil to grease the baking tin (or vegan butter)
Zest of 1/2-1 lemon
3/4 cup Icing sugar
Preheat your oven to 180C.
1. Take a large bowl and add all your dry ingredients, mixing them together and making sure you eliminate any lumps. If using normal flour and baking powder rather than self raising flour @exceedingly vegan recommends using 2 tsp of baking powder rather than 1.
2. Mix all the wet ingredients together in another bowl. You may want to give them a little whisk to make sure it is a smooth batter and lump free.
3. Fold in the lemon zest and strawberries, work gently so you don't mush the strawberries up too much in the mixture.
4. Use baking paper to line your ring tin (about 22cm in diametre) and grease with coconut oil. Don't forget to line the centre ring with paper too (I so often forget that!)
5. Pour your batter into the lined tin. It is quite thick so you may need to use a spatula to smooth it so it is even across the tin.
6. Bake for 35 min. Check it at about 30 mins to make sure it is not getting too brown. (Both times I made the mistake of taking the cake out early at the 30 minute mark because a skewer came out clean and the top bounced back when touched... the cake was still delicious but VERY moist, it could do with the extra 5 mins cooking time.)
6. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and icing sugar together, whisk to get out any lumps
Take the cake out of the oven and let cool down thoroughly.
Take a teaspoon with some lemon glaze and drip it back and forth over the cake in a zip zag. Go around the cake a few times. Then sprinkle some extra toasted coconut on top. I cut little hearts out of the left over lemon rind and also little strips and curled them around a pencil to shape them.
Cut and serve! Sadly I didn't have any the other day... but it would be delicious served with some Coconut yoghurt and some extra berries if you have any.
Thank you Exceedingly Vegan for the basis for this simple, tasty recipe!